Friday, January 12, 2007

Massage and stretching

As I have mentioned in previous posts, I work with a lot of athletes. I find that incorporating stretching with my clients during massage is very beneficial to them. Warming the muscles up and then stretching them really helps to facilitate maximum release. I use bath sheets (really big towels) and weight of the bath sheets allows the client to feel that all of the important areas are covered and that their safety is paramount. I do have one client that insists on stretching at the conclusion of the massage and she is fully dressed and that's OK. That's the neat thing about massage, the client gets to call all of the shots.

The amazing thing is that my "non athletes" love the stretching too. I have many 50 and 60 year old men and women that just rave about the stretching. I'm thinking that one day someone is going to tell me how great my ephleurage and petrissage (massage strokes) is but NO, they always say " I love that stretching. I've never experienced that in a massage".

If I don't stop blogging about stretching, that may become my new nickname. It is important though and if you haven't experienced it with massage, ask your therapist if they can do it or better yet, call me.

Peace and good health.

No comments: